Saturday, April 7, 2012

The lava continues flowing down south slopes of Hawaii Island - Your blogger takes a break

Above: A daytime aerial and a thermal imagery creates this composite photo of the current lava flow on the south slopes of the Pulama Pali courtesy of USGS/HVO images page.
Below, USGS/HVO daytime photo with notes I have added: (Click any image to open them all as larger size in a new window)


As these USGS Hawaiian Volcano Observatory (HVO) images clearly show, sprawling surface lava expands across the Coastal plains below Royal Gardens and remains about a mile from the ocean (To our backs in these images.) Lava also remains active in various places along the eruptive tube system between Pu`u O`o, the source, down the Pulama Pali and out onto the coastal plains.

I have not made the effort to hike out to the lava flow to investigate or document it. I have chosen to focus on my any other projects, including my lava movie. At this point in time I am considering taking a break from the Hawaiian Lava Daily for an unknown period of time.

Besides my other obligations and interests, I don't think I have much to offer you readers, my special lava followers, that is not now covered very well by our knowledgable and comprehensive (and paid) volcano experts - the United States Geological Survey's Hawaiian Volcano Observatory team.

The USGS/HVO has really improved their documenting of Kilauea's eruptions in recent years: numerous public cams with improved image quality, surface and aerial footage including those amazing thermal image composites with informative captions, detailed and updated mapping, an interactive earthquake page, an extensive data base of historic events, public awareness links, sites, updates and much more.

There were many times that if I did not hike out to locate and record the lava, or lack of, there would be few who would have any idea what was really taking place out there. Now I can sit on my computer here and with a couple of clicks, look in real time at much of the lava conditions day or night. And so can you.

Along the left side, or across the top, of many of the USGS/HVO web site pages there are clearly labelled navigation links that offer all these things I have mentioned - like these below: Kilauea Update | Mauna Loa Status | Seismic | Deformation (magma pressure tilt graph) | Current SO2 Conditions (Toxic fume direction/levels from both active craters) | Multiple Webcams | Flow Maps | Photos & Videos and many more great informational links.

So, my dear Lava Blog readers, I have truly enjoyed sharing my adventures with this ongoing world wonder, the Kilauea Volcano, with you. I have deeply appreciated the many emails, comments here and in-person encounters with so many of you; both locally and from the entire planet. I also must do a call-out to all of you who have jumped onboard my very special lava movie with your generous support. I am continuing to work on this feature film and will be meeting with my pro-editor in a few days to begin the fine-tuning. One hurdle remains to be music license costs, but we will solve that eventually.

I am not declaring that I am retiring Hawaiian Lava Daily. I am saying that for a few important reasons, including the reasons previously mentioned, I need to withdraw from it for awhile. That said… I have been known to change my mind with the weather… or be swayed by other irresistible elements ...

Aloha nui loa, A hui hou,
Leigh
P.S. If you have some time or the interest, Kim McMillon, a host on 'Arts In The Valley' (website linked here) out of California is also an AM radio station there that recently did an interview with me. We cover her questions about my lava videography & photography, Kilauea history and of my involvement with Jack Thompson and the story of his home lost to lava. The segment is about twenty minutes long: The Interview on mp3

I'll leave you with some random lava images below~~~




6 comments:

  1. I hope you change your mind. I don't think your images and frank reporting are easily replaced. Thanks for all you have done and I look forward to a great movie! Bravo!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your blog. It keeps me connected with the heart of the Island. Best wishes for your projects. Hopefully you post here and there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bummed out that you're no longer doing the blog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really wish you would return to this blog. The USGS sites are typical government scientific gibberish and don't give lava lovers any real clue about how to view or where, and no images and no standard-English explanations. Your blog was extremely useful and I really wish you would at least update every once in a while. It couldn't possibly take that long.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes Aanel, it does take that long... but I may do some updates in the days ahead--- I have been dealing with a lot of things these months, but gearing up for some lava hikes and updates soon ~~

    ReplyDelete
  6. Missed your blog on our recent visit. I so enjoyed reading it 2 years ago when we visited. I looked at it many times after returning to Texas just to see what was going on and look at your awesome pictures. Can't wait to hear more about your movie. :)

    ReplyDelete